Monday, June 14, 2010

Did i mention that I like Librivox?



http://librivox.org/
Down load audio books for FREE. Contribute or volunteer if you can. I suggest the reader Mark Smith for any Mark Twain stories. The selection is public domain which includes Twain, H.G. Wells, Jules Verne, H.L. Mencken, Thomas Payne, Charles Darwin, and Robert C. Ingersoll. A quick search will find your favorites. If you haven't the time for the book, listen to the audio while....painting toys soldiers for example.

3 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of Librivox as well. I write a blog dedicated to reviewing Librivox recordings and other free audio books. If you haven't read King Solomon's Mines, you should give it a try:
    http://freelistens.blogspot.com/2008/07/king-solomons-mines-by-h-rider-haggard.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep trying to get my boyfriend to record a few of these. He's been reading me Sherlock Holmes anyway (he makes a pretty good Watson)and he's 10x better than the recording they have on there now. I got a kindle for my birthday and librivox just makes free books that much more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Listener, I Just did.

    Stephanie, I spent all last fall, winter and finished a month ago reading Lord Of The Rings to my 14 year old daughter. She's a prodigious reader but not out loud. She did want me to do the "voices" so somehow Aragorn sounded like Clint Eastwood. I did about a chapter every night. I had just finished reading it for the first time even though I had seen the movies.

    I'd really like an audio version of that book but it wouldn't be free. Thanks for the reminder about Sherlock Holmes stories.

    The cartoonist from the linked "Hark a Vagrant"
    did a Watson strip.
    http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=264

    ReplyDelete